Reports to: National Communications Director
Job Title: Press Secretary
The Press Secretary works to gain media exposure for the Brady Campaign & Center to help meet strategic and tactical goals and objectives, and communicates Brady's initiatives, programs, and campaigns to efficiently and effectively reach key constituencies, including reporters, digital audiences, advocates and partners. This individual works with the National Communications Director to develop press strategies and craft messages that resonate with the media to communicate Brady's messages across the various media platforms and outlets. This includes cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters and proactively pitching stories at the national, regional and local levels. The Press Secretary will also track relevant news coverage and make recommendations on which stories to pitch and how to best maximize rapid response opportunities. In addition, the Press Secretary will write and issue press releases, media advisories and statements, and write talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, blogs, and other messaging documents as needed. This individual will regularly collaborate with counterparts in policy, organizing, development and legal divisions, and consult with cross division teams focused on each of the major campaigns and associated programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute earned media strategies to maximize news coverage and communicate Brady's campaigns, programs, and initiatives to its target audiences.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson when and where appropriate.
- Triage incoming media requests and respond to reporter inquiries.
- Cultivate relationships with reporters and pitch stories to media outlets to generate maximum exposure for Brady's campaigns, initiatives, and programs.
- Write and issue press releases, statements, talking points, and advisories.
- Write and submit blog posts, op-eds, and letters to the editor as needed.
- Work with National Communications Director to identify and execute rapid response protocols during breaking news scenarios.
- Brief and staff Brady principals for media events and appearances.
- Prepare media statements and talking points for Brady Chapter leaders and spokespeople.
- Provide media training and preparation for press appearances for Brady principals, staff, chapter leaders, advocates, victim-survivors and others.
- Coordinate with communications and media staff for Brady partners, issue coalitions, advocacy groups, legislative offices, corporate interests, political candidates and campaigns, and others, as appropriate.
- Oversee creation and maintenance of media contact databases and news coverage databases to track Brady coverage and identify trends.
- Work with other departments to maintain an editorial content calendar to proactively identify media opportunities and sync messaging between traditional media and digital media channels.
- Consult with Brady's digital team to sync messaging and response on social media where appropriate.
- Oversee logistics for press events, develop media assets, and coordinate with outside vendors when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 5-7 years of experience working in a press operation for a federal or state elected official, on a political campaign, at a public relations firm, an advocacy organization or in a rapid response/oppositional research environment.
- Superior written and oral communications with impeccable attention to detail.
- Experience or aptitude for writing swiftly, concisely, and accurately on tight deadlines.
- Experience or aptitude for working with public relations tools, such as Cision/Vocus and Meltwater.
- A copious consumer of news with passion, creativity, and ambition to engage in breaking news opportunities.
- Proficient in social media communications.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship development skills.
- A self-starter who takes initiative, thinks effectively on his/her feet, and performs well in high-profile work environments.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Ability to engage professionally with internal and external stakeholders.
- A dedicated work ethic, sound news discretion, and a sense of humor.
- Commitment to sensible gun laws.
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) plays a vital leadership role in achieving progress in gun-related policies, laws, and practices in the United States. Our mission is to significantly decrease the number of gun deaths and injuries in America, helping to lead a new path toward a safer nation for all. We achieve this through three critical strategies: 1) affect policy change by bringing to bear the voice of the American public; 2) change social norms around the 300 million guns currently in circulation through public health and safety campaigns; and 3) take legal action to hold the gun industry accountable for dangerous and irresponsible practices.
Please email a cover letter expressing an interest in the position, relevant writing samples, and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning 'Press Secretary' in the subject line.
The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.