Title: VP, Programs and Policy
Reports to: Co-Presidents
Location: Washington, DC
The VP, Programs and Policy is responsible for the management and implementation of two key areas for Brady: 1) gun violence prevention policy at the federal and state level, and 2) Brady's three strategic programs focusing on: reducing the flow of crime guns, expanding background checks, and changing social norms regarding the perception of guns. The VP will work closely with the Executive Management Team (the Co-Presidents and the Chief Operating Officer) to lead a team of individuals with subject matter expertise in the growth and implementation of policy and program objectives.
Ideal candidates for this position are individuals who have worked in policy and/or program development in Congress or at the state level, and have substantial experience leading highly effective teams. Experience working on the issue of gun violence prevention or policy issues of an equally complex nature at the state or federal level for non-profits or similar organizations is a plus. Candidates should have high adaptability and flexibility in managing multiple requests, demands, and timelines. They are not fazed by challenges and obstacles, but instead work with the organization to come up with the best possible high-quality programmatic solutions. The successful applicant will be a creative thinker who has experience translating ideas into concrete work flow and actions. The position requires excellent strategic thinking, analysis and writing skills, as well as the ability to work across departments internally and with external parties.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and lead policy and programmatic employees to effectively execute key Brady campaign and policy priorities.
- Advise the Co-Presidents regarding the Brady's campaigns and policy priorities and help execute key strategy imperatives
- Establish and manage program and project scopes and timelines, accurately assess and mitigate risks, clearly break down complex projects into identifiable work streams
- Integrate strategic, policy, legal, and activist work into seamless and effective programs
- Leverage cross-department program committees to achieve programmatic success
- Develop written materials related to Brady's programs and policy initiatives Oversee local and national relationships associated with Brady's programmatic goals
- Manage and/or oversee program, policy, research and chapter staff
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Occasional travel
- Minimum 15 years of cross-functional experience involving strategy, policy and programs. Hill experience is required.
- Experience managing political campaigns and/or campaign activities within non-profits is required.
- Significant managerial experience
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA, JD or MPP preferred
- Demonstrated leadership experience in leading and managing complex programs/campaigns and staff
- Professional and dynamic presence with the ability to facilitate relationships and work collaboratively
- Experience building and maintaining high-level partnerships and constituent relationships
- Ability to coordinate diverse teams and communicate effectively
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated strategic communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Experience in a charitable organization, preferred
- Commitment to sensible gun laws and reducing gun violence
Please email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning "VP, Programs & Policy" in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.