35,000 People die from gun violence in this country each year.
We can change that.
No organization has a more comprehensive and systematic approach to ending America’s gun violence epidemic. Brady believes that Americans, working together, are more powerful than any problem and we invite those who feel the same way to join us in our work. We know our multi-pronged approach of education, litigation, and legislation will ensure that one day, every American can live free from the fear of being shot. Join us in creating that America.
POSITION: Vice President, Policy | Gun Violence Prevention
Reports To: Brady’s President
Based: Washington D.C.
IMPACT & LEGACY
In this highly influential role, you will champion gun violence prevention policy on a national scale in alignment with Brady’s mission.
This position requires someone with deep experience working in senior positions in Congress, preferably on the issue of gun violence prevention, and someone with a credible, respected voice to convey Brady’s 3 Point Plan:
View Kris Brown, Brady’s President, talking about Brady's 3 Point Plan.
- Expand Brady Background Checks to all gun sales: 1 in 5 guns are sold without a Brady Background Check due to gaps in the system that could be easily fixed.
- Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines: Shooters in massacres such as Parkland, Las Vegas, Orlando, Sutherland Springs, Aurora, and Sandy Hook have all used assault weapons and high capacity magazines. These weapons of war DO NOT belong on our streets.
- Pass Extreme Risk Protection Order Laws (ERPO's) Nationwide: An extreme risk protection order allows family members and law enforcement to seek court permission to temporarily remove guns from a person in danger of harming themselves or others.
THE WORK TO BE DONE
As a trusted advisor to Brady’s President and Senior Team, you will support key strategic priorities including:
- Represent Brady and effectively advocate for its top priorities with lawmakers, staff and the public
- Legislative analysis and legislative priority setting at the federal level and in target states.
- Steer and manage federal and state candidate endorsement process that strengthens and fortifies key legislative priorities
- Set electoral strategy plans in collaboration with the Organizing Team.
- Integrate strategic, policy, legal, and activist work into seamless and effective programs
- Evangelize Brady’s initiatives to ensure federal and state lawmakers and key partners are amplifying Brady’s programmatic work, ensuring the programmatic work supports policy objectives and furthers the mission.
- Oversee national and local relationships associated with Brady’s policy goals, including collaboration and partnership with other organizations who are seeking to participate in the gun violence prevention movement.
YOUR SKILLS & EXPERTISE
- Minimum of 15 years of cross-functional experience involving strategy, policy, and programs, including significant time on Capitol Hill working in senior roles for Members of Congress and/or Committees.
- Deep experience working on gun violence prevention or policy issues of an equally complex nature, at the state or federal level.
- A professional, dynamic networker with a persuasive personality and the gravitas to work collaboratively on both sides of the aisle.
- A track record building and maintaining high-level partnerships and constituent relationships
- A willingness to listen to others and take the best ideas, regardless of where they came from.
- Successful experience working with and managing political action committee activities
- Experience managing political campaigns and/or campaign activities within non-profits
- Strong management, leadership, organization, public speaking, communication, and interpersonal skills required. You will lead and manage complex programs, campaigns and a small team, and your ability to think strategically and execute tactically is critical.
- Bachelor's degree, MBA, JD or MPP preferred.
Send your résumé along with any supporting docs or social media links to demonstrate your talents and expertise.
Email: email@example.com Subject Line: VP, Policy: First & Last Name
Interviews will begin immediately.
In the meantime, please check out the Time Magazine/JR Project cover story on Guns in America. Both Kris Brown, President & Ky Hunter, VP of Programs, are on the cover!
We look forward to talking with you,