Title: VP, Policy
Reports to: Co-Presidents
Location: Washington, DC
The VP, Policy is responsible for the management and implementation of gun violence prevention policy at the federal and state level, and advancing Brady's advocacy work related to its programs with federal and state lawmakers and key partners. Brady has a political action committee. The successful candidate will have experience helping to advance activities for issue-oriented political action committees.
Ideal candidates for this position are individuals who have experience working in Congress at senior levels, advocacy related experience, and campaign related experience (for candidates or issues. Experience working on the issue of gun violence prevention or policy issues of an equally complex nature at the state or federal level for non-profits or similar organizations is a plus. Candidates should have excellent interpersonal and writing skills, be highly strategic, and have strong experience in management in an environment that can require rapid response.
Candidates should have high adaptability and flexibility in managing multiple requests, demands, and timelines. They are not fazed by challenges and obstacles, but instead work with the organization to come up with the best possible high-quality programmatic solutions. The successful applicant will be a creative thinker who has experience translating ideas into concrete work flow and actions. The position requires excellent strategic thinking, analysis and writing skills, as well as the ability to work across departments internally and with external parties.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and lead teams, to include direct reports and cross-functional groups.
- Advise the Co-Presidents regarding Brady's policy priorities and help execute key strategy imperatives, including candidate endorsements, PAC plans, legislative analysis, and legislative priority-setting at the federal level and in targeted states
- Establish and manage work product to ensure timely delivery of materials that are fit for purpose and of a high quality
- Integrate strategic, policy, legal, and activist work into seamless and effective programs
- Oversee local and national relationships associated with Brady's policy goals
- Manage and/or oversee policy and research staff
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Occasional travel
- Minimum 15 years of cross-functional experience involving strategy, policy and programs, including time on Capitol Hill working for Members of Congress
- Experience working with and managing political action campaign activities
- Experience managing political campaigns and/or campaign activities within non-profits is required.
- Significant managerial experience
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA, JD or MPP preferred
- Demonstrated leadership experience in leading and managing complex programs/campaigns and staff
- Professional and dynamic presence with the ability to facilitate relationships and work collaboratively
- Experience building and maintaining high-level partnerships and constituent relationships
- Ability to coordinate diverse teams and communicate effectively
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated strategic communication skills (oral and written)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Experience in a charitable organization, preferred
- Commitment to sensible gun laws and reducing gun violence
Please email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning "VP, Policy" in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.