The Brady Campaign is looking for a highly motivated, creative, organized, passionate professional who is ready to take on the role of "Social Media Associate" and make an impact in a relevant way.
Brady is the nation’s longest running national organization dedicated to eradicating gun violence in our country. We want to ensure that all Americans know what Brady is and the work we do. Your job is to make that happen!
You'll grow the engagement of various channels already in use, and you'll also be accountable for locating, engaging, educating and cultivating new audiences as they emerge. The Social Media Associate role is critical for our growing team.
What is the mission at Brady?
Our Mission is To Prevent Gun Violence through Education, Litigation & Legislation.
View Kris Brown, Brady’s President, talking about Brady's 3 Point Plan.
- Expand Brady Background Checks to all gun sales: 1 in 5 guns are sold without a Brady Background Check due to gaps in the system that could be easily fixed.
- Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines: Shooters in massacres such as Parkland, Las Vegas, Orlando, Sutherland Springs, Aurora, and Sandy Hook have all used assault weapons and high capacity magazines. These weapons of war DO NOT belong on our streets.
- Pass Extreme Risk Protection Order Laws (ERPO's) Nationwide: An extreme risk protection order allows family members and law enforcement to seek court permission to temporarily remove guns from a person in danger of harming themselves or others.
The work you'll do:
- Plan, create and launch engaging social media content in a thorough, well-organized manner to reach various audiences across a wide array of platforms
- Locate and cultivate influencers to engage with Brady content and mission
- Suggest shareables, infographics and other creative necessary to support social media campaigns
- Contribute to, or ghostwrite, Brady blog and online content on an ongoing basis
- Track and monitor social media activity at all times to insert Brady where appropriate and media-jack pertinent conversations to achieve Brady’s engagement goals
- Track and monitor analytics to assess trends and activity across social accounts and digital advertising performance to goal
- Ensure your deliverables on the editorial calendar are being met
- Participate as part of our crisis communications team
- Support the day-to-day operations of the Communications Department as needed
- Bring your passion and creativity to work whenever you walk through the door
Your Team: The Social Media Associate is part of the Communications Team, reporting directly to the Digital & Creative Manager. It's a very talented team prepping for a re-branding launch in February (exciting stuff!) and you'll have a chance to partner with all of them.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You want to do work that is relevant and have an impact.
- You are moved to work for an organization striving to prevent gun violence in our schools, on our streets and in our homes.
- You are an outstanding writer.
- You've learned how to relate to diverse audiences, likely through an undergraduate degree in Communications, Marketing, Digital Advertising, or another related field.
- You are on top of it! You have an insatiable appetite to monitor social media 24/7 and intrinsically know when Brady should take part in a conversation
- Self-motivated, creative thinker, life-long learner.
- You are able to juggle multiple priorities and easily pivot to meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ideally, you have significant experience using social media professionally and understand the needed etiquette, best practices, and responsibilities of representing an organization on Social Media.
Application Deadline: January 7
Details: Fulltime position with benefits | Washington DC | Metro Accessible-Union Station | Business Casual Environment
Internships Are Available: Aspiring to be qualified one day? Social Media Internships are available for Spring & Summer. Apply now! Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis. Internships are unpaid, approximately 20 hours a week. We'll work with you to earn college credit!>
Send your résumé along with any supporting docs or links to demonstrate your talents.
Email: email@example.com Subject Line: Social Media: First & Last Name
Promising candidates will be interviewed during the second week in January.
In the meantime, please check out the Time Magazine/JR Project cover story on Guns in America. Both Kris Brown, President &amp; Ky Hunter, VP of Programs, are on the cover!
We look forward to talking with you,
No organization has a more comprehensive and systematic approach to ending America’s gun violence epidemic. Brady believes that Americans, working together, are more powerful than any problem and we invite those who feel the same way to join us in our work. We know our multi-pronged approach of education, litigation, and legislation will ensure that one day, every American can live free from the fear of being shot. Join us in creating that America.
For more than 40 years, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence has been the leading national voice in the prevention of gun violence with an unrivaled history of success. The Brady Bill, which was signed into law in 1993, remains the single most effective gun violence prevention policy in history, with Brady background checks blocking more than 3 million sales of guns to prohibited purchasers such as domestic abusers, convicted violent criminals, and people with dangerous mental illnesses. In the words of President Bill Clinton, “countless people are alive today” because of the work of Jim and Sarah Brady and the Brady Center.
A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our mission. All qualified applicants and current employees will receive consideration for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic under federal, state or local law. The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence is committed to advancing the principles of equal employment opportunity.