Job Title: Policy and Research Associate
Reports to: Policy Director
Location: Washington, DC
The Policy and Research Associate will assist the Policy and Research Manager to research new developments related to gun violence prevention, and maintain working databases of up-to-date facts and statistics. They will contribute to the production and editing of original reports, one-pagers, and talking points. An ideal candidate is someone who has strong research and writing skills, has experience managing and marshalling key facts and data within an organization and is organized and able to synthesize key facts and information. This position will coordinate with multiple departments within the organization on a variety of tasks, including, but not limited to, death and injury data, new gun violence statistics and studies, and will help the team ensure facts are presented accurately.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Track and analyze gun violence fatality and injury data
- Fact check all internal and external documents, graphics, and speeches.
- Monitor journals & media for relevant information
- Maintain research database(s)
- Write and prepare summaries of data for all Brady departments and assist in preparation of presentations and decks
- Write articles, memos and summaries of gun-related issues for newsletters, newspapers, websites, blogs, social media, and for use by policy, communications, and development staff
- Provide data and work in conjunction with Policy and Research Manager and the broader Policy team to research and write analyses and reports on a variety of gun-related issues for public distribution
- Two to three years of professional experience in writing and/or research, preferably for a non-profit
- A college degree with excellent academic qualifications and top-notch writing and research skills
- A strong commitment to sensible gun violence prevention policies
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Power Point
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple competing tasks
- Comfortable speaking via telephone and in person with diverse audiences
- Ability to understand legal issues
- Interest in public interest and reducing gun violence
- Self-motivated and focused
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policies
- Ability to work some nights and/or weekends
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work with all roles and levels of the organization
Please email a cover letter expressing an interest in the position and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning "Policy and Research Associate" in the subject line.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.