Title: Policy Analyst
Reports to: Policy Director
Location: Washington, DC
This position will assist Policy staff in the implementation of Brady's state and federal policy priorities, leveraging assets to achieve legislative goals, working broadly across and beyond the Gun Violence Prevention movement to shape and implement strategy, and help to build and maintain strong networks to achieve key policy initiatives. The Policy Analyst will also assist the department in providing input and support to ensure the success of all of Brady's key campaigns by helping to manage and implement key policy goals of those campaigns, monitoring and ensuring timely reporting of new information about regulatory and legislative activity to the Policy Director, Policy and Research Manager and senior staff at Brady. This position will work cooperatively on a day-to-day basis with other Brady staff in the Communications, Programs, Partnerships, Development and Organizing Divisions to ensure streamlined communications with our chapters and other partners related to our campaigns and policy priorities. A strong public policy experience and strategic thinking, writing and communication skills are critical to success in this role.
The candidate will work with a dynamic team of experienced, committed individuals in a collaborative, supportive, fast-paced environment. The position is suited to someone seeking to further a legislative, policy and strategic career, and someone who is motivated to have an impact on gun violence prevention and beyond.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in conjunction with the Director and Policy and Research Manager to develop and implement tactics to achieve key policy goals at the state and federal levels
- Assist in the execution of key policy initiatives for Brady's three key campaigns: Finish the Job, Stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers and Social Norm Change by being the go-between with external audiences and internal departments
- Monitor, report on, and make recommendations on Brady's positions on new policies at both the federal and state levels; with a primary focus on the key states
- 2-4 years of related work experience, including a strong preference for legislative experience on Capitol Hill or a state capitol
- State legislative issue-oriented advocacy and/or coalition work focused on policy development and execution is a major preference
- Campaign experience, political or issue focused, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to achieve clarity in the face of ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a diplomatic style and high emotional intelligence
- Outstanding communication (written, spoken, presentation) and investigation skills
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong writing skills are required
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Commitment to sensible gun laws and reducing gun violence
- Experience in a non-profit is a plus
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy required
- Ability to work some nights and/or weekends
- Bachelor's degree required
Please email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning "Policy Analyst" in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.