Job Title: Bad Apple Organizing Manager
Reports to: Senior Organizing Manager
Location: Los Angeles Area
This is a critical moment of opportunity for the efforts to prevent gun violence in America. Brady is seeking an experienced Organizing Manager to lead the day-to-day implementation of our campaign to stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers, the 5% of licensed gun dealers that supply 90% of the guns that are used in crimes. The Organizing Manager will be responsible for building awareness in the Los Angeles metro area and working with senior management, Brady Chapters, city, state, and national officials, activists, local and national allies, and other stakeholders to implement campaign strategy and tactics.
In addition to the Bad Apple Gun Dealer work, which we anticipate will be approximately 75% of the workload, this position will include working to support additional Brady programming in California, with regular trips to Arizona.
Ideal candidates for this position are masters in building and maintaining relationships with community activists, elected officials & their staffs, and other key stakeholders. They are highly adaptable and can manage changing requests, demands, and timelines. They are not fazed by challenges and obstacles but instead work with the team to come up with the best possible high-quality solution. The successful applicant will be a creative thinker who has experience translating ideas into concrete work plans and actions. Successful candidates will welcome working in a multi-departmental group while reporting regularly to the Senior Organizing Manager and chief of the campaign. The position requires the proven ability to plan and execute on-the-ground actions like lobby-visits, protests, and press conferences.
- Develop relationships and serve as a main point of contact with key leaders
- Develop opportunities to partner with local allies on projects in line with the Bad Apple Gun Dealer campaign and other Brady programming
- Provide direction, focus, and leadership in implementing campaign strategy
- Develop and implement on-the-ground actions that expand campaign participation among diverse communities, gun violence survivors, students as well as the LGBT and faith communities
- Maintain an open door atmosphere where activists feel welcome and comfortable to call, email, ask questions, and provide feedback; be able to provide a sympathetic ear when working with those impacted by gun violence
- Work within established campaign infrastructure to effectively manage relevant data
- Occasional travel within Region and to the national office in Washington
- Occasionally represent the organization at speaking engagements and with elected officials and allied groups
- Works remotely at a home office or embedded with allied organizations
- Travels as needed within California, Arizona, and to the national office in Washington, D.C.
- 3-5 years' experience in grassroots non-profit or political organizing (exceptional proven service to one of the 2016 presidential campaigns may be substituted for this requirement)
- Experience working with any or several of the following: student organizations, victims, diverse communities, the faith community
- Strong organizational & communication skills; demonstrated ability to prioritize & meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate relationships, connect and work successfully with volunteers and key stakeholders
- Experience working with Microsoft and Google online products; proven ability to manage basic database (NGP VAN, SALSA, BlueState) and spreadsheet functions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both written and verbal) skills
- Spanish/English fluency highly preferred
- Experience engaging and working in diverse communities is strongly preferred
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) is a leading national voice in the movement to end gun violence. Representing millions of supporters and activists, Brady's goal is to cut gun deaths in half by 2025 through sustained, impact-driven campaigns such as “Finish the Job” to expand Brady background checks to all gun sales, “Stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers” to shut down the small number of gun dealers that sell almost all crime guns, “The ASK Campaign” to educate parents about the risks of guns in the home, and “The War on PLCAA” to overturn or repeal the evil law that provides the gun industry protection from liability that no other industry in the nation enjoys.
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter and résumé to search [at] bradymail [dot] org listing “Bad Apple Organizing Manager” in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please.