Title: Field Program Manager, Oakland
Reports to: VP, Programs and Policy
Location: Oakland, CA
Brady is seeking an experienced Program Manager to lead the day-to-day implementation of our Oakland campaign to stop the flow of crime guns into American cities (5% of licensed gun dealers supply 90% of the guns that are used in crimes). The Program Manager will be responsible for building awareness in Oakland about the problem of crime guns. Working with senior management, Brady Chapters, city, state, and national officials, local and national allies, and other stakeholders the Program Manager will implement campaign strategies and tactics to disrupt the flow of crime guns, primarily to the Oakland/Bay Area, but also to other cities. This will include working with police, prosecutors, other GVP organizations, the press, and local elected officials to identify gun dealers contributing to the crime gun problem and work to ensure they reform or are shut down. The Program Manager will also work to leverage Brady's activities through partnerships with other community-based organizations working directly with those most impacted by crime guns.
Ideal candidates for this position will have worked on community-based organizing and/or political campaigns impacting the Oakland community and are skilled in building and maintaining relationships with community activists, elected officials and their staffs, and other key stakeholders. Ideal candidates will have previously worked in grassroots organizing, either on campaigns or issue advocacy, and demonstrated tangible results supported by data. They also have experience interacting with public officials, have strong political acumen, and are familiar with the function of government and the role advocacy plays advancing public policy. Ideal candidates are highly adaptable and can manage changing requests, demands, and timelines. Candidates will welcome working as part of a cross functional team while reporting regularly to the VP of Programs & Policy based in DC. The position requires the proven ability to plan and execute on-the-ground actions like lobby-visits, business meetings, and press conferences. The candidate is not required to have prior experience in the gun violence prevention movement but is expected to be passionate about the issue.
- Reduce gun violence in Oakland, focusing on the supply of crime guns in that community
- Develop relationships with key community leaders and businesses
- Develop opportunities to partner with local allies on projects in line with the crime guns campaign and other Brady programming, including new and diverse coalitions or organizations that work in Oakland communities impacted by gun violence
- Provide direction, focus, and leadership in the campaign to reduce the flow of crime guns
- Develop and implement on-the-ground actions that expand program participation among diverse communities, gun violence survivors, economic actors, political leaders, and students as well as the LGBT and faith communities
- Work within established Brady infrastructure to effectively manage and synthesize relevant data
- Seek opportunities to highlight activities related to the campaign, including public testimony, cultivating contacts with the press, research reports and related data-driven content
- Periodic travel within region and to the national office in Washington
- Must represent the organization at speaking engagements and with elected officials and allied groups
- Works in Oakland either remotely at a home office or embedded with allied organization
- Travels as needed within California, neighboring states, and to the national office in Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters preferred
- Minimum 5 years professional experience working with community or political leaders
- Strong writing skills required
- Experience working with any or several of the following: student organizations, victims, diverse communities, the faith community
- Experience working with law enforcement is a plus
- Strong organizational & communication skills; demonstrated ability to prioritize & meet deadlines
- Ability to work autonomously with the right level of stakeholder management
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate relationships, connect and work successfully with volunteers and key stakeholders
- Experience working with Microsoft and Google online products; proven ability to manage basic database (NGP VAN, SALSA, BlueState, EveryAction) and spreadsheet functions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both written and verbal) skills
Please email cover letter and résumé to email@example.com mentioning "Program Manager, Oakland" in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.