Position: Media Relations Intern
Reports to: Press Secretary
Location: Washington, DC
The Brady Campaign and Center to Prevent Gun Violence is seeking a highly motivated, personable, organized Media Relations intern, passionate about making a difference in the gun violence prevention movement. We’re recruiting an intern interested in learning how nonprofits determine when and what outlets should be pitched, how the story is crafted, how to prep talent for live, taped and print media, and how to cultivate relationships with media outlets and reporters. The Media Relations Intern will report directly to the Press Secretary but will work closely with the entire communications staff and volunteers to support Brady’s efforts.
- Performing research to find articles and resources that are relevant to Brady’s work
- Tracking and monitoring analytics to assess trends and activity in press coverage and compile daily press clips to post on website and share with Brady staff
- Drafting pitch emails, press releases and media advisories
- Refining talking points into sound bites
- Monitor and identify Brady opportunities on HARO (help a reporter out)
- Support the day-to-day operations of the Communications Department as needed
- Bring your passion and creativity to work whenever you walk through the door
An Ideal Candidate:
- Outstanding writing and communications skills
- Experience with Meltwater a plus
- Attention to detail and ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Ability to manage time effectively and work against short deadlines
- Classwork, experience or interest in journalism, media or public relations
- Interest in gun violence prevention
- This is an unpaid intern position
- College credit can be awarded
- Duration of Internship:
- Sept - Dec 2018 (min. 15 hours/week) can extend to spring semester if both parties are agreeable.
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) plays a vital, leadership role in achieving changes in gun laws, policies, and practices in this country. Our mission is to significantly decrease the number of gun deaths and injuries in America, helping to lead a new path toward the safer nation for all Americans. We achieve this through three critical strategies: 1) affect policy change by bringing to bear the voice of the American public; 2) change social norms around the 300 million guns currently in circulation through public health and safety campaigns; and 3) take legal action to hold the gun industry accountable for dangerous and irresponsible practices.
Please email a cover letter expressing an interest in the position, resume and your availability to email@example.com indicating “Media Relations Intern” in the subject line.