Reports to: Vice President, Litigation
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Location: Washington, DC
The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence seeks an intelligent, creative, and energetic legal assistant. S/he can expect a variety of interesting experiences and challenging, exciting opportunities to affect the law and public policy in the courts, legislatures, and media, while assisting and supporting cutting-edge public interest legal work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supporting attorneys in litigation representing gun violence victims and defending gun laws
- Drafting press releases, supporter emails, grant proposals, and website content on lawsuits and legal campaigns
- Researching and investigating gun violence-related issues and legislation
- Contacting and coordinating with attorneys, law firms, and organizations across the country
- Tracking projects and case deadlines
- Writing articles, memos, and summaries of legal cases and gun policy issues
- Performing other research, writing and administrative support as needed
- College degree with excellent academic qualifications
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Excellent computer, verbal communication, and organizing skills
- An interest in legal issues, public interest and reducing gun violence
- Works well with others
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and able to complete multiple projects under tight deadline
- Experience with legal citation (Bluebook format) strongly preferred, but not required
- Experience or familiarity with LexisNexis, and other legal research tools. Legal assistant experience preferred but not
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) plays a vital leadership role in achieving changes in gun laws, policies, and practices in this country. Our mission is to significantly decrease the number of gun deaths and injuries in America, helping to lead a new path toward the safer nation for all Americans.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer with an attractive benefits package. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.