Title: Campaign Strategist
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer
Location: Washington, DC
This is a critical moment of opportunity for the efforts to prevent gun violence in America. Brady is seeking an experienced project manager to lead the day-to-day implementation of two of our key campaigns, at the direction of Brady's Chief Strategy Officer. These campaigns include our campaign to stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers, the 5% of licensed gun dealers that supply 90% of the guns that are used in crimes and our Finish the Job campaign, to ensure that lifesaving Brady background checks apply to all gun sales nationwide.
The Campaign Strategist will drive our strategy forward across the country by working with senior management, Brady Chapters, city, state, and national officials, activists, local and national allies, and other stakeholders to implement change, advance campaign directives and help ensure that Brady meets its strategic goal of cutting gun violence in half by 2025.
Ideal candidates for this position are master troubleshooters who have high adaptability and flexibility and are able to manage changing requests, demands, and timelines. They are not fazed by challenges and obstacles but instead work with the team to come up with the best possible high-quality solution. The successful applicant will be a creative thinker who has experience translating ideas into concrete work plans and actions. The position requires excellent strategic analysis and writing skills, as well as the ability to work across departments internally and with multiple external parties. Ideal candidates will have experience in issue- oriented and/or political campaigns in strategic, organizing and/or communications roles, and have some relevant experience in grassroots organizing, ideally in the gun violence prevention movement.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and manage timelines and scope, accurately assess and mediate risks, and clearly break down complex projects into identifiable work streams
- Help ensure team members assigned to key tasks are accountable for completion of the tasks
- Develop trusted partnerships and serve as the main point of contact with key leaders in
- targeted areas and at the local/national level
- Integrate strategic, policy, legal and activist work into a seamless and effective campaign
- Develop written materials related to Brady's Bad Apple Gun Dealer and Finish the Job
- campaigns for use around the country
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Occasional travel
- 5-10 years of cross-functional experience involving strategy and policy
- Demonstrated ability to achieve clarity in the face of ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate relationships and work collaboratively
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a diplomatic style and high emotional intelligence
- Outstanding communication (written, spoken, presentation) and investigation skills
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong writing skills are required
- Enjoys a small/medium sized organization
- Commitment to sensible gun laws and reducing gun violence
- Experience in a non-profit is a plus
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA/JD/MPP is a plus
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) is a leading national voice in the movement to end gun violence. Representing millions of supporters and activists, Brady's goal is to cut gun deaths in half by 2025 through sustained, impact-driven campaigns such as "Finish the Job" to expand Brady background checks to all gun sales, "Stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers" to shut down the small number of gun dealers that sell almost all crime guns, and "The ASK Campaign" to educate parents about the risks of guns in the home.
Please email cover letter and résumé to search [at] bradymail [dot] org mentioning "Campaign Strategist" in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.