Title: Assistant Manager, Policy
Reports to: Director of Policy
Location: Washington, DC
This position will assist the Policy Department in the development of all of Brady's state and federal legislative strategies, leverage assets to achieve legislative goals, work broadly across the GVP coalition movement in shaping and formulating strategy, and build strong networks to achieve key legislative initiatives. The position will also assist the department in providing input and support to ensure the success of all of Brady's key campaigns by helping to manage and implement key policy goals of those campaigns and ensuring that new information about regulatory and legislative activity are communicated to the Director of Policy and senior management on a timely basis, along with suggestions for strategic approaches and responses by Brady related to such activity. Strong public policy experience, organization, strategic thinking, writing and communication skills are critical to the success of role.
The candidate will work with a dynamic team of experienced, committed individuals in a collaborative, supportive, fast-paced environment. The position is suited to someone seeking to further a legislative, policy and strategic career, and someone who is motivated to have an impact on gun violence prevention and beyond.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in conjunction with the Policy Department to set the policy agenda and achieve key policy goals.
- Assist in the management and execution of key policy initiatives in Brady's three key campaigns: Finish the Job, Stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers and ASK by being the go- between with external audiences and internal departments.
- 3-5 years of related work experience, including on Capitol Hill, state legislatures and/or advocacy organizations focused on policy development and execution
- Campaign experience, political or issue focused, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to achieve clarity in the face of ambiguity
- Documented project management experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a diplomatic style and high emotional intelligence
- Outstanding communication (written, spoken, presentation) and investigation skills
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong writing skills are required
- Enjoys a small/medium sized organization
- Commitment to sensible gun laws and reducing gun violence
- Experience in a non-profit is a plus
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters preferred
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) is a leading national voice in the movement to end gun violence. Representing millions of supporters and activists, Brady's goal is to cut gun deaths in half by 2025 through sustained, impact-driven campaigns such as "Finish the Job" to expand Brady background checks to all gun sales, "Stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers" to shut down the small number of gun dealers that sell almost all crime guns, and "The ASK Campaign" to educate parents about the risks of guns in the home.
Please email cover letter and résumé to search [at] bradymail [dot] org mentioning "Assistant Manager, Policy" in the subject line. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. This position is classified as exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not eligible for overtime pay.